CUBIE STREET Up until 1874 there was no through Road in Cubie Street from the Gallowgate to Crownpoint Road, it ran from the Gallowgate to Waterloo Street East (later Forbes Street) then to Crownpoint Road. In the late 1880s many of the Tenements were built in Cubie Street with the School being added in 1892 then the Telephone exchange in 1910. Although it is over 30 years since Cubie Street was demolished to make way for the Crownpoint sports complex, it has been luckier than most of the other surrounding Streets that have gone completely like Soho Street Lochiel Street and Wesleyan Street to mention a few. Cubie Street that now goes nowhere is unique in the area as it is linked with the building that is in turn linked to every address business or residential in the local area.
The building itself is now listed as a Category C Which means of local importance, it is also in the Bridgeton Heritage Trail booklet again these factors strengthen the buildings position in the local area. In talking to many local people or even some who work in Cubie Street they will say that I can remember the street or they knew of someone who lived in the street but you never seem to get the full picture with different people remembering different parts of it also people have argued over the position of where a shop was in the street. We know of two shops in the street Gowrie’s fruit shop & Mary Diegans newsagent’s also Ramshorn Hall at 127 Cubie Street if anyone can help with information on these premise’s please let us know or with any other matter regarding Cubie Street.
In looking back to the 1913-14 valuation roll for Cubie Street at that time it shows well over a dozen shops and business premises. Also this gives us the names of the people living in the street and their occupations. One family who came from Cubie Street was the Singletons, Robert Singleton and Thomasina Johnstone Mc Nair lived at 88 Brook Street but on their marriage on July 1899 they moved to 89 Cubie Street, in 1922 their son Frank was born in Cubie Street. In 1939 Frank was employed at the Milanda Bakery but in 1942 he enlisted in the army where he was sent to the middle East, part of his duties was as a dispatch rider. Frank left the army in 1948 where he was immediately employed by the James Craig Bakery, Charing Cross
In the same year Frank married Jeanie Johnston Weir and stayed with his parents in Cubie Street till 1949 were they then moved to Rutherglen. Franks parents remained in Cubie Street until their deaths Thomasina in 1954 and Robert in 1967. Frank later returned to the Milanda Bakery in Wesleyan Street but was made redundant in the mid 70s when the bakery closed. Cubie Street was once part of a thriving busy community known as Mile End which for a long time was linked to industries like carpet weaving, but at the same time these industries left, much of the housing in the area was demolished. And although Mile End is still thriving in the business sense with small factory units and offices the community never returned. Thanks to the Singleton family.