William Thomas Oldrieve
(architect 1853 – 1922)
William Thomas Oldrieve was the architect who was responsible for the building and design of the telephone exchange in Cubie Street.
Oldrieve was born in London in 1853 the son of William Oldrieve clerk of works and his wife Elizabeth Tyler. He was educated at Mansfield Grammer School serving for a time under his father in the clerk of works office at Thoresby Hall. From 1873 he obtained a place in the war office attached to the royal engineers until 1881 he then became a distinguished pupil of professor Baldwin Brown gaining a class medal and the cousin prize in the architectural section of fine arts class at Edinburgh University. In 1886 he was Goodwin Bursar of the RIBA. This he used to visit Hamburg Berlin Vienna And Paris making a particular study of post office buildings notably Guadet’s new Hotel Des Postes in Paris and the general post office in Hamburg he was then appointed architect for provincial post offices in England and Wales and in 1904 he was appointed the principal architect for Scotland.
Oldrieve had strong antiquarian interests and took a particular interest in the ancient monuments side of his duties giving a paper on the royal palaces of Scotland at the RIBA in 1908.
One on the excavation of the original Abbey church at Holyrood to the Scottish ecclesiological society and another one the roof of Glasgow Cathedral to the society of antiquaries .
Oldrieve retired from the office of works in 1914 at the age of sixty he then formed the partnership of Oldrieve Bell and Paterson shortly after his retirement Oldrieve was appointed a royal commissioner of ancient and historical monuments of Scotland the buildings executed during his regime were an exceptionally interesting series predominantly Edwardian classic but a few were late gothic and Scots renaissance notably Aberdeen Post Office and the unrealised scheme for Falkland Palace.
Oldrieve died on the 12th January 1922.
He left a widow , a son and a daughter.
(Dictionary Of Scottish Architects.)